Saturday, December 10, 2016

Living Backwards.....Our trip to Savannah

At least for the time I'm catching up, I feel like I'm living life backwards on the blog!  
It also looks like all we've done is travel which is absolutely not true.....but I do want to get our travels down to remember later.

So......going way, way back to August 2015, we took a short vacation to Savannah, GA.


We stayed in this great Bed and Breakfast.



Once we found a place to park, we walked everywhere.....we did take a tour on a bus like the one pictured.

This fountain is in one of the many parks in Savannah.  




The waterfront.  







The port in Savannah was used to bring slaves in for trading.  This statue made me sad thinking about the families that were torn apart during that sad time in our country.



Just a pretty place we walked by.  Decided it was a good place for a photo.  



This was an interesting sight.  The guy carrying the flag was running through town.

I did not run with him!


The sign outside our Bed and Breakfast.....the Foley House Inn.  Y'all, it was wonderful!  They had great breakfasts, then at 3 p.m. they had tea time and at 6 p.m. happy hour.  
I didn't think we would make tea time or happy hour, but it turned out to be just the right times to get back and take a break from walking.  I loved it because those were the times we met new people and made new friends!


The parlor inside the Foley House Inn

The door at the end of the hall was our room.  





This was where we had breakfast.

Tea time and Happy Hour were held in this room.

Our room.


Old Savannah Cotton Exchange




We did a tour of The Colonial Cemetery......




We realized in walking around, that our B&B was right next door to the Independent Presbyterian Church, so even though we didn't bring church clothes, we went and enjoyed it so much!  Everyone there was so friendly and it turned out the pastor knows out pastor.  Small world.



The courtyard looking out our bedroom window.  It rained most of the time, so we didn't actually go into the courtyard.


We took Uber for the first time ever .......he wasn't a serial killer even though I insisted he would be.......and went to The Pink House for Russell's birthday dinner.


They bring one candle in a silver candlestick for birthdays.

Our time in Savannah was one of our favorite trips ever.  We met so many nice people and just had a nice, relaxing time.  We did tour the house where "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" was filmed.  Our B&B was right across the street from where the bus stop scene from the movie "Forrest Gump" was filmed.  

As I write this, months after the fact, it sounds boring to me, but it was so much fun.  


5 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

We visited Savannah frequently on day trips when in Hilton Head. It's such a lovely old city, full of charm. Sounds like you had a wonderful time there.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Looks likes a wonderful trip, I would like such a trip myself, the older I get the more I want to travel and see the world

LBDDiaries said...

Boring? Are you nuts? I have been wanting to visit there every since that film, "Midnight..." - I love visiting it vicariously with you. I love the pix of your bedroom - what a neat old room! In that one picture, is that clotheslines above Mr. R's head?? You have now made me more determined to get there for a visit. I love fountains, old buildings and houses, homes, b&b's and I always felt Savannah would fit that bill for. We visiting a wonderful old sea town in Maine that made me thirsty to visit more old towns like this in America. Thanks for sharing!!

Cathy said...

Does not sound boring to me! Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Nonnie said...

That looks like a great place to stay. We visited Savannah a couple of years ago. I liked it. Boring? No. but I know what you mean. Seems like when on vacation or just returning home, there are so many exciting thoughts and memories about it, but if you wait too long to tell about it, you lose the passion. You just moved on. Nice to see you here again.