Friday, November 22, 2013

Where were you?

That is the question of the day today on the 50th anniversary of the assassination of John F. Kennedy.  

But first, it's Friday and you know what that means!  Time to dump out the remains of the week and link up with Mrs. 4444 for Friday Fragments.....


Let me start with a big Happy Birthday to our youngest grandson, John Daniel.  John is a sweet, happy boy who lights up any room.  



On his actual birthday, he had a birthday cupcake......his party is this coming weekend.  Sadly, we won't be able to attend.

Happy Birthday big boy!  Pappy and Nana love you!

*****

Between talking to nurses for mama, taking the dog to the vet and going to the eye doctor for myself, I feel all doctored out for this week. Keeping up with it all is tiring and I live by the calendar in my purse.  Whew!

*****

This weekend Mercy Uganda is having a warehouse sale.  We put a big dumpster at the warehouse because there was a lot trash!  The Superhero and I went over after church Wednesday night and as our headlights hit the dumpster I spied a body hanging half in and half out and and I freaked for a moment thinking there was a dead body that had been dumped.  Thankfully the body moved and I saw my very first dumpster diver.  It was nice that he was taking trash and making it his treasure.  How I wish I had a picture.
He didn't exactly look like this, but you get the drift.

*****

And now to the question of the day.....where were you when John Kennedy was assassinated?

I was in the sixth grade and was at school.  An announcement came over the school P.A. system.  A very emotional voice informed us that the president had been shot and asked that we all stand and have a silent prayer .  That's all we knew as we silently stood and prayed.  Yes, praying in school was very common 50 years ago.  Moments later another announcement came over saying that the President of the United States had died and school was immediately dismissed.  My friends and I walked home in silence.

When I arrived home, I went to my room and cried.  

My grandmother especially loved President Kennedy and had a replica of his rocking chair.....
The rocking chair with the book The Torch is Passed


I love this picture because they look so happy


And who could forget that little salute

No matter our politics, it was such a sad and tragic day for our nation.  Even fifty years later, I cry watching the coverage on television.

*****

It seems like there is very little blogging time lately and I'm late.  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

15 comments:

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

What a cutie celebrating his first birthday.

I was also in the 6th grade when Pres. Kennedy was killed and I walked home and cried and cried too. I stayed glued to the TV and feeling so sorry for John John and Caroline.

My Grandmother also had that exact rocking chair and both of my Grandparents loved Kennedy.

Yes, caring for parents can be so, so challenging but I'm thankful the Lord always supplies the extra strength and patience I need.

Happy, happy weekend and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I was in my 7th grade English class. Mrs. Lane was my teacher.

Happy first birthday to that sweetie!

Cathy said...

I was in the tenth grade! Hard day!....you have Grandma's chair....hmmmm!

Unknown said...

I was born that year. My cousin was born the same day as the day Kennedy died. However, I think our generation will always recall where we were when the towers fell in New York.

LBDDiaries said...

Your grandbabies are beautiful. We were in Germany (dad in Army) when he died. I don't recall much on the day because my grandfather had just died and my mom had to fly back to the States. I do remember feeling shock later as I understood what had happened. You are right, it was a tragic day for our nation.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Happy Birthday to John Daniel. He is adorable! Seems to me the older people get it is pretty obvious that retirement will be filled with doctors appointments. I was in 7th grade in the library when it came over out P.A. system. I remember my friend Diane bursting into tears, she had recently lost her father.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Hope John Daniel had a great birthday.

Since I was only 1yr old when JFK passed away I have no idea where I was or what I was doing but I bet I was playing or sleeping.....

Nonnie said...

Your John Daniel is precious. Glad he had a great first birthday.
I was in Glee Club and the principal came over the loud speaker announcing that Kennedy had been shot and we too had silence in the class. We went on to our next class and my math teacher had each of us pass around a sheet of notebook paper for everybody to sign their name so we would all have a remembrance of the day.
I am not finding the time to blog either, however I am still taking time to read them. Happy Thanksgiving.

Doreen McGettigan said...

I work part time as a caregiver for the elderly, I know how stressful it can all be. Remember to take care of you:)
What sweet little boys. How sad you cannot be there for the party. I am missing one next weekend.
I posted where I was too.
Have a great weekend!

Deb said...

I was 20 months old....my Mom was expecting my brother...she said her and my Mamaw were at the Greenstamp store when they heard...Downtown Dallas was completely shut down for the ceremony....it was cold here too...Hope your Dr. appointments slow down...Happy Birthday to your cutie...

debi said...

Came in from recess and my teacher was crying...the entire elementary school was gathered in the cafeteria and they rolled in the "black and white" t.v.s. After telling us what happened the turned on the news. It is the first relocation of every seeing the news, though I'm sure it was on every night at home.... "Ask Not what your country can do for you" ...that should be announced to our lazy, greedy country again today...sorry...but true.

Hugs!

Diane said...

What a cutie pie your grandbaby is, you are so blessed!

I was just a infant when Kennedy died, but grew up knowing the impact he had on history. I do however remember other horrible days - when Diana died, she was like a friend to me. And then of course, 9/11. I just couldn't believe what was happening and how tragic it all was.

Hope you have yourself a good week. Diane

Mrs4444 said...

I was born in 1963, but I vividly remember "seeing" JFK get assassinated, watching TV on the 5-year anniversary. I was too young to be watching such a thing; it obviously left an impression on me.

John Daniel...beautiful name for a beautiful boy.

Thanks for linking up. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Dee said...

Dear Nancy, I was teaching when the president was shout and then later, as with you, the principal dismissed us and the students went home and the other nuns and I hurried across the blacktopped playground to rush into the convent and to the community room where we sat and watched television, mesmerized. We never got to watch television in those days in the convent but all of us were so glad that one of the parishioners had donated a television set to the convent a few months before. Peace.

Sally said...

Your grandchildren are precious!

I was in the car, and heard it on the radio. My dad was bringing me home from the hospital. Such a tragic day for the United States of America. :(