Monday, February 2, 2015

Without her...














Without her, life is very different.  
A year ago today was the last day of mama's life.  It had been a long, long eight days.   Mama was completely unresponsive all those days as we sat with her or in her living room.  We talked, reminisced about our family life.  

She was unresponsive except for a brief moment in time when her caregiver came in and.....
Angela stood over her and talked to her.  Mama started making noise like she was trying to say something, but not like she was actually conscious.  That was an emotional moment.  

After she died, I wrote this post which talks about how I and perhaps my brothers and sisters felt at the time of her death.

Now?  A year later?  My head is so happy that she is in heaven with Jesus and daddy and all her brothers and sisters.  My heart misses her in many ways.  I miss her voice, her laughter, her quick wit.  I sometimes stop and think I haven't called her today or I need to go over to see her and then I remember.  

I'm thankful the memories we have of our parents are good memories.  

The memory of the righteous is a blessing.....Proverbs 10:7

A little added note.......Mama loved the Superhero and the Superhero loved mama, but he's not one to say a whole lot.  He came to see mama one of the nights shortly before she died.  I think he may have been shocked at how unresponsive she was, but he started talking (remember he's a man of very few words!) and he thanked mama for me!  I can't remember what else he said because I was sobbing by that time.  I can remember one of my BIL's saying.......thanks Russell, now what will the rest of us say?  


15 comments:

Cathy said...

Your words are beautiful! I love the picture choices! We will forever miss our Mama and her sweet, funny spirit!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Time may heal the wound, but it can never erase the scar left behind. {{hug}}

Sweet Tea said...

You resemble your Mom so I bet you see her sometimes when you look in the mirror. So glad that time has given you perspective. Your Mom would enjoy this post. ((HUGS)) on this special day,

debi said...

What a happy thought, when we get to gather again with each one that has gone before us. The visit that will last for eternity!!!

Hugs!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Such beautiful thoughts! I miss my mother, too, and she's been gone over 37 years. It seems strange to me that I'm older now than she was when she passed away. But, I still so wish that I could call her and talk to her. So many things that I would like to ask her. I am comforted by knowing where she is now, in heaven, and I'll see her again! Hugs to you as you remember your sweet mother this day.

Rebecca Jo said...

I'm sure it will always be a laugh, a voice, a presence you miss... but so thankful for the joy you have in knowing where she's at now.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Awe, that is so, so sweet! It literally took me 5 years to accept my Mom's death and she's been dead for 6 years. She died of a massive stroke suddenly and it was such a shock and then after she died my Dad demanded so much from me that I didn't get to grieve until much later. But, the Lord has been gracious and brought me through to the other side now and I look forward to our great reunion in heaven one of these days.

Blessings to you!

LBDDiaries said...

What a WONDERFUL tribute! Those pix remind me of my parents - dad was tall, mom short and him always looking down and her up in such apparent love.

My mom has been gone 6 years this year. I still have an occasional "I need to call mom" moment but I am also so glad she's in heaven with everyone.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

((HUGS)) Your in my thoughts......

Needled Mom said...

I think we miss our parents until the day we die. It is just that empty spot in out hearts.

It must have been so emotional to have heard your husband speak those words. I have tears in my eyes just reading them.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Yes you miss her but she is at peace and in a better place now. Such a lovely post and yeah I think you are like your mum also

Diane said...

Lovely tribute.

Dee said...

Dear Nancy, I haven't blogged for nearly a near, but I do remember last year when you posted about your mother's death. A poignant post and a tribute to her love. I hadn't lived at home or even in the same state as my parents for many, many years when Mom died in 1968 and Dad in 1975. And so I did not miss the daily things. What I did miss was the knowledge that they were in the home where I grew up and that they were loving me there and rooting for me. I missed their wisdom. And I miss it still. Peace.

janel said...

Nancy, I stopped in my old blog to reminice. There I read your sweet comment you left me after Mom died. Thank you. I came here to see your mom died also. I am so sorry. It's such an adjustment. When you said you felt you had to call your mom at times, I still do that and probably always will. Seems like yesterday, me and her sitting having coffee at her table but then it was so long ago. Time certainly is strange. At those moments when I miss her the most I stop and usually right out loud say Jesus please give my mom a kiss for me. We mourn but not without hope. Hugs from me. "He Knows My Name"

Cathy said...

I sure do miss my sister's blogs! She has some great stuff she could blog about! She is so talented! Love, your big sister🤔🤔🤔