Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Today's the day.

UPDATE! I'm all done! Thanks for the prayers....I did o.k. Now, it wasn't great, and I hope I don't have to do it again soon, but I made it and I'm thankful! My sweet husband prayed for me before we left home and stayed in the waiting room until I was through, then brought me home.

I am so thankful for my husband, and for all my praying friends!

As you may, or may not, remember from this post, I have a major problem at the dentist office. MAJOR...Anyhow today is the second appointment for this *&%$@# root canal.

Yesterday, the phone rang and when I looked at caller I.D. which is not always a blessing, it was his name....the dreaded dentist! Reminding me, as if I could forget, that today is my appointment.

I told the receptionist that they might want to clear out the lobby while I was there so that the other patients don't get scared away.

Now this time, the dentist wisely (I hope) provided me with the same medication they give children. In order to take that medication, my husband has to leave a meeting early, come get me and stay with me while I'm there being tortured. My husband is the greatest and really, as my friend calls him, the super hero, but he is a little irritated that I am such a huge baby not able to handle this by myself.

As I explained in the other dentist post, I'm not afraid of the actual procedure...nor the needles.....no it is so much deeper than that, as in buried deep in my demented mind. I am extremely claustrophobic and can't stand anything being in my mouth in such a way that I can't close my mouth. I know that's weird, did I ever say I'm not weird!? My throat begins to close and I have to start clearing my throat, I can't swallow, Oh, or breathe, just in case I forgot to mention that.

Now I have tried to just be a big girl and go in there unarmed and have any procedure done. O.K. I can have my teeth cleaned with no problem. Maybe just a little problem. It just doesn't work. I've prayed through the procedure, which does help. I've tried to put myself in some other place in my mind....like floating on a float in the water, or laying on the beach. Unfortunately, it doesn't work, because I'm too smart to believe the lies I'm trying to tell myself! Please don't confuse that with my actually being really smart!

So, to be on the safe side, I called my doctorpsychiatrist to ask her opinion on this medication. Yes, I have a psychiatrist, if you don't have one, don't knock it....I was able to accept that I have anxiety issues and let someone help me.......also I can tell her anything and by law, she's not allowed to tell anyone. :) Now you're wondering if I have deep dark secrets aren't you??? I'll just let your imagination run wild with that one. Besides, anyone who has children needs a psychiatrist. Trust me on this!

So, if you read this before 1 pm today and think about it, please offer up a little prayer for me that I'll be calm. Of course, I may be unconscious.

Oh, yea, that's what I meant to tell you. My psychiatrist said this particular medication was originally prescribed for sleep, but that the problem with it was people would take the pill, start to brush their teeth and literally collapse asleep. It is also supposed to have the effect of making you forget. Well, wouldn't that be nice???

The only thing is, just like my mama, medications sometimes react differently with me...like it could possibly just not do anything. Oh, dear, something else to be anxious about.

You know how in the Bible, Paul says that sometimes we suffer so we can be sympathetic to others who suffer? 2 Corinthians 1:4. If you have any problems with anxiety, I'm your girl!

19 comments:

Leslie: said...

Gee Nancy, hopefully by the time you read this it'll be all over! I'm just like you re the dentist. Well, a bit better now that I have a new young woman dentist. But I did actually faint dead away once in the chair after a molar broke and I was SO scared about what they had to do to fix it. I hate fillings but I've managed to endure 3 crowns. I can now cope with cleanings but next time I have to have any freezing, I'll be calling on you! Sending Tylenol hugs your way! {{{{you}}}}

Suzanne said...

Okay, first of all I hope your dental appt. is over and you will be feeling better soon! My daughter just returned from hers and is not feeling too perky!

Secondly, thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for your encouragement! I lost 3 lbs. since Friday..and I do realize mostly water, probably, but still..I'll celebrate ounces too! :)

Thirdly, we have alot in common.
I am from the south..born and raised in Memphis, TN and lived there until 1979, but the south never leaves ya, nor do I want it to! :) Right? Where are you from?
Oh and I am 55 too! What's your birthday?

Fourthly,
My daughter live in Fairbanks for 2 years while her ex was in the army..sorry to bring the ex part up, but sadly they should have never married in the first place.
Anyway, so I also have email buddy who was her neighbor across the street there. Her name is Susan and she lives in San Antonio, now, but we still email. The two have shared lots of "Fairbanks" stories.

Fifthly, I am a McCain/Palin gal too! Well, there's probably more where all that came from!

Keep visiting and I'll be putting you on my bookmarks! God bless!

Suzanne said...

PS I love Panama City, FL! We went there when my daughter first moved to Alaska to get away so I would not cry too much and we had a wonderful week there..good memories. :) Wow, so much in common. :)

Nicole said...

I will be praying for you. I can understand the anxiety thing definetly! Your being lifted up to Jesus right now!

Let us know how it goes.

Love,
Nicole

Nicole said...

Just thought of something...when I had my wisdom teeth pulled I prayed Jesus would be my physician and doctor...so I envisioned Jesus working on my teeth and I was so relaxed. There is no greater physician than Jesus himself working on your teeth!!!

nancygrayce said...

See this is what I LOVE about the blog world! Thanks for the support!!! I'm counting down the minutes until I take my medicine and get this show on the road and over with!

Suzanne, I live in Panama City, FL and I'm FROM Panama City! Born and raised here and graduated from the same high school as my mother and inlaws! We are the original "locals".

Sadly, I turned 56 this summer. Well, not really sadly, I'm healthy and happy so any age is good. I lived in Fairbanks with my ex too.

Yes, we have so much in common. I never cared whether it was water weight or lb. weight...the scales going down always makes me happy!!! :)

nancygrayce said...

Thanks, Nicole, actually last time I did pray for the Holy Spirit to just give me peace. This morning, I've been praying, "you did not give me a spirit of fear!"

Tonja said...

I so hope everything has gone well. And, listen honey...if you are as scared as I am of the dentist...I sooooo understand! Fear is fear...it doesn't matter if anyone else understands it or not, And it is real. So do what ya need to to get through the procedure, and shake off whatever anyone else says. Obviously they don't fear anything or they could understand. And, the psychiatrist...no one should have a word to say about that. We all do what we need to do to get through this life...and if that's what it takes for you...I say, "Good for you You know what you need and you have the strength to see that you get it!"
Hope you can sleep a sweet and peaceful sleep tonight.

Tonja said...

So glad all is well!

Keetha Broyles said...

Well - - - I didn't find this until RIGHT NOW when I'm home from a school day, so precious little help I was!!!

Glad you made it through ok.

I'm a bit claustrophobic myself, so can empathize with THAT part of it.

MRI's bother me more than the dentist's chair though.

Dawn said...

I came by after the fact and was glad to find that it's all over and your sanity is intact! You do have a great hubby.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I share your fear of the dentist. Unfortunately, I spent most of my summer in and out of her office....to the tune of $5000! That hurt worse than the needles! :)

If it makes you feel any better...I never claim to be normal either! :)

Suzanne said...

LOL! Yes...any weight will do to lose until I feel like I'm not being too gluttonous. I feel that is what I'd become even if I wasn't hugely overweight, we know when we put food all but in front of God almost, ya know? Its when we put prayer life and service life aside sometimes to graze on just whatever we want to and when we want to. THAT is not good..not for me. Anyway, if I ever get to go back to Panama City, I'd love to meet you for a, well a, lets say..LIGHT lunch! ;)!!!

Needled Mom said...

I'm glad that you survived the proceedure. None of us likes the dentist, but to have a true fear must be horrid. I hope it is finished now.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Awww. Bless you NG! I feel so bad for you. I know that last time was bad enough. I am glad that is is over with. It'll be ok now.






Go McCain!

Dawn said...

I'll be sure Kristen invites you - she asked me for all of my e-mail addresses. Thanks for caring!

Leslie: said...

I'm SO glad you're okay after having to endure that. I'm going tomorrow morning for a cleaning and praying (please pray, too) I don't have anything else needing done!

Nicole said...

So glad to know how everything went. By the way, your daugther is beautiful! I stopped at her blog today and left a message. Happy Birthday to her!

Nicole

Technonana said...

Hi Nancy...I totally understand... I have had 2 root-canals, and had to have my wisdom teeth surgically removed... but I can tell you too.. there are worse things...and the birthday thing.. yeah, we have had that going on too, and my husband and I celebrated our 41st wedding anniversary this month, too!!