Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bye bye hectic week!

This picture was supposed to be at the end of the post, but of course I am once again confounded by the blog! This is my sister, sister in law and brother at lunch today. More below and another picture way below. ???




















This has just been a hectic week! Every day except Monday, I was either taking someone to the doctor or going for myself! Oh, except that Thursday I had to go to the dentist. I had a toothache and went in for them to check it and ended up starting a root canal.


Now one of my major anxiety issues centers around the dentist chair! During any big dental procedure I have to have time to prepare myself mentally and have nitrous oxide. O.K. I had no time to prepare myself because once they took the x ray, it was on with the root canal! I even had them take a picture of me (I later decided nothing about that picture or visit was very funny) with the nitrous thingy on, thinking I'll blog about what a big baby I am. I am usually very good at laughing at myself.


They started, and first of all, it took several tries to get the area deadened. Then something wasn't right about the nitrous oxide, but maybe it was just me. I made it through the procedure, sat up in the chair and started sobbing. I went into a full blown panic attack.....one like I've never had before. I was soaking wet with sweat and was just crying uncontrollably. That has NEVER happened before...oh, I mean I've cried uncontrollably before, just not at the dentist.


On the way out, I had to stop to make a second appointment.....I'm sure the dentist is looking so forward to that....and I was so upset I just handed my calendar to the receptionist and had her make my appointment. I didn't even talk about paying....in fact I almost had another attack when I got home and looked at the bill they thrust in my hand as they were shoving me out the door helping me out to my car.

I made it home, changed into some dry clothes and pulled myself together. I called my husband for comfort and he lovingly said, you're fine, now get over it! Have I ever mentioned he has a minor in Psychology??? Or how grateful I am we don't have to depend on that to make a living???


Today was a much better day! It is two days later after all! My cousin is here for a wedding, so some of us went to lunch.

Voila, cousin and I at the lunch table.....






11 comments:

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Bless your ever loving heart. I am so sorry, that sounds terrible. I do that when I am on a plane, so I know how you feel. I hope that the next visit goes smoother. I will pray for you.

And you and your sis look so much alike-both beauties!

Dawn said...

I've been thinking of you all week with the news of Fay every day - but haven't had a chance to check in here!

I'm so sorry about the root canal - I had one years ago that took many trips before it was successfully finished. Not fun! You're right - it's something you need to prepare for mentally, not have thrust upon you.

nancygrayce said...

Thanks both of you for your kind words! The panic situation is very humiliating....especially as I grow older. I'll post one day about my childhood anxieties, they were awful and no one knew what they were. We are getting some wind and rain tonight, but I'm pretty sure we're missing the worst of Fay. I did hear there were some deaths related to the storms, so I'm praying that those families will be comforted!

Keetha Broyles said...

Sorry about your experience in the dentist's chair.

Susie said...

That dental experience sounds beyond awful.
I'm sure you're glad that part is behind you and you can prepare yourself ahead of time for the next appointment.

Jason and Roxy said...

You better tell Russell to accompany you to your next dental appt! Sounds like you need a hand to hold. Stay strong... you'll make it thru it!! =)

Sheryl said...

Boy you are so funny!! I completely understand the dentist thing. Never had a full blown panic attack there but pretty close. By the way your sister is just as pretty as you are!!

Sheryl

nancygrayce said...

Thanks, Sheryl, she'll be as glad to read that as I was! :)

Tonja said...

I can not even say the word dentist with out breaking into hives...look! I'm beginning to itch right now!!!

Leslie: said...

Oh Lord, Nancy! You and me both with the dentist. I actually fainted in the chair once! But now I have a really nice young woman dentist who is very sensitive to my anxiety. I still fear having to have a root canal, though....Hope your mouth is okay now!

thouartloosed said...

How Awful! I HATE the dentist and this sounds like my worst nightmare. I'm impressed you got through phase one.