Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Opportunity

I have been fortunate to have many children in my life, not all my own.  Some who came into my life  to stay forever and some who were in my daily life for a short time, but are in my heart forever.  

This is the story of two boys who came into my life.  I have never met either of these boys in person.  They live far away in Uganda.  Frank and James.  Some of you may know that the Superhero and I serve on the board for Mercy Uganda, a mission organization ministering to the women and children of Uganda.  

In Uganda, opportunities are not readily available like they are in the United States.  Most every child in America that truly wants to get somewhere in life has that opportunity.  Education is afforded to all children.  Not so in Uganda.  The children there have to pay to go to school.  Many, many children in Uganda are orphans and some are taken in my relatives, but many are in what we call child headed homes.....meaning the oldest child in the family becomes the parent.  

First, let me explain some things about Mercy Uganda that are different from some organizations.  Mercy Uganda forms relationships with people and now has Ugandans who are part of our team and one goal is for the people to learn to provide for themselves.  Some organizations go in, do something, leave and the people are actually no better off than they were before because they don't know how to care for or provide for themselves.  It is important that people learn skills to take care of themselves.  I won't give you a list of what has been accomplished in giving the people the skills they so desperately need, but instead direct you to the Mercy Uganda website where you can actually see for yourself what is going on there.

But one thing I do want to talk about is child sponsorships.  We had a sponsored young man.......by sponsor I mean we paid his tuition to attend school and sent gifts and provided for his supplies.  Frank.....he was doing well for a while, but when our team went recently it seems that Frank had decided he had had enough of school, didn't pass the test to move on to the next level and stopped going altogether.  I didn't learn of this until the team returned home.  

It broke my heart.  You see, in America you will probably get more opportunities to turn your life around, but in Uganda that was very well Frank's only shot out of  a life of poverty.  I am aware that God is more than able, but right now Frank is drifting.  



If he crosses you mind, say a prayer for Frank.

Laura, the head of Mercy Uganda prayed that God would send someone who needed a spot in school since there was now one available....and soon met James....


As you can see if you look closely, James has on a pair of sweat pants that has only one whole pants leg and his shirt is tattered.  James talked to her a long time about many things.  James wanted to go to school and he wanted to go to church.

James is taking over our sponsorship and will now be enrolled in boarding school where he will be educated and have meals and decent clothing.


This is James after he got new clothes and he's holding the things I sent for Frank, which are now his. 



Now just like any child of mine that is having problems or gone astray, I am grieving for Frank.  Laura pointed out this truth that is often hard for me to grasp.  Frank had a choice and he made it.......I have no control over that choice.  I will continue to pray for Frank and ask God to direct his paths.

As for James, welcome to our family!




8 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Heartbreaking and joyous at the same time!!! I am so sorry for Frank's choice, but thrilled that James will now have the opportunity to make something of his life. I will keep both in my prayers.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Nancy, what a blessing you and your husband are being and the benefits are eternal. We are big supporters of World Vision and have a little girl in Africa that we take care of. It's hard for us to even imagine how little opportunities these children have for any life at all.

Thanks for sharing this with us, we need more caring folks in this world that will invest in something with such eternal value.

Blessings my friend!

PCovi said...

whoo. that is heavy.
Bless you for what you are doing!

Rebecca Jo said...

Wow... praying for both of these boys. How different life is for them & how blessed we are & take it for granted.

I love you are so in touch with your 'kids' :) We've sponosored a girl through World Vision since 2007 & I love getting updates on her. You really forget how giving can change their lives so dramatically....

Unknown said...

Oh Nancy, I am saddened to hear about Frank. I will keep him in my prayers. James too. You have a big heart and these boys are blessed to have had you in their lives.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so very kind of you and your husband to sponsor a child. I pray that James does wonderful and I will also keep Frank in my prayers.

Stephanie said...

Sending up a prayer, not only for Frank, but for good people like you who support these young people who need extra love ...

Cathy said...

Praying for Frank. Hope he will be able to turn things around.