Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Body of Christ

1 Corinthians 12:12 - 26

For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body - Jews or Greeks, slaves or free - and all were made to drink of one Spirit. For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as He chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

In this chapter of our Bible study, we are talking about Church life. We were discussing people who are Christians but choose not to be members of a Church or move around to different Church's weekly. They say, I don't need the Church to worship. True enough. But Christ told us we are a body. Now, if the thumb decides to wander around for a few weeks, the hand is pretty much useless!

God knew we needed fellowship. He knew we would need to bear one another's burdens. These last few weeks in particular, I have been so grateful to be part of a body of prayers! To know that other Christians are approaching the throne of mercy for our family is so comforting.

So come on thumbs and toes, and eyes and ears and all the body, join together to be one in Christ Jesus. After all, it was His idea!

O. K. on a completely different subject! This morning I woke up to an obvious UTI ....OBVIOUS. I have been going to the same doctor for at least 14 years, so I called and asked if I could come in, give a urine sample and get a prescription. And could I do it fairly quickly since I am going to Bible study, my mother's home, my in law's home, and various other errands. I was informed that I was welcome to come in and give a specimen, but that if it was positive, I would have to sit for hours wait until the nurse practitioner could see me. This is my in law's doctor too so they really know the pressure (no pun intended) we have been under these last few weeks.

I'm not an unreasonable person, honestly, I'm not. If I had called and said I have chest pains and could they write me a prescription for nitro glycerin and they said I should see the doctor, I would understand perfectly. But if you're a woman and you've EVER had a UTI, you know what it is and you just need some medication!

Nevertheless....they wouldn't bend the rules for me. So I got some over the counter stuff and drank water all day...I'm floating now....and I'm better tonight. But I'm not over being mad. I probably will be tomorrow! I'm not good at holding a grudge, besides I'll need them again. SIGH.


4 comments:

Dawn said...

You and poor little Feisty need to get together. I had to take her to the doctor again today. Why do some women (little girls) get them so often and some never??

nancygrayce said...

Poor Feisty! I haven't had one for years! My mother in law has NEVER had one!

Needled Mom said...

That is utterly ridiculous! I understand that cultures may grow different organisms when cultured, but it takes up to 48 hours to determine which organism grows. They could at least give you something for the waiting time and if that antibiotic is not the right one, they could change it when the results come in. I switched doctors when that happened to me. UTIs are no fun and to wait for hours is absurd - especially one who knows what you have been through lately.

Tonja said...

Well, how dare they? I have begun to ask for the office manager when I get unsatisfactory service at a Dr.s office. Usually that helps me get my point across.