Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Gratitude for an attitude

My attitude was really bad today, I'm so ashamed to say. Today was one of mama's Dr. appointments and that always tires us both completely, so I had a whole list of errands planned down to the minute before I needed to pick her up. When I walked out to the car I thought HMMMMMMMM my tire looks low, so I kicked it and it was not all that hard. This did not fit into my plans, no not at all. I know husband was in a meeting all morning so I drove, it was just a little flat, to the grease pro where I get my car serviced. I drive in and the guy says, "Mam, your tire is flat!" I said all the way flat?? He just nodded and I could see the bubble over his head that was thinking man, women are so dumb! I said can you fix it? He pointed back to the tire part and said they can, but they're real busy. Mentally I screamed. Outwardly, I smiled and said thanks and drove on back to the super busy tire fixing place. I must have looked forlorn, because since I just had a screw in my tire, they fixed it right away. WHEW! So now my schedule is no longer minute to minute....it is second to second. So I fly around and get most of my errands done, get mama and we get to the Dr. only 10 minutes late.

We got that done, got a little lunch and went back to her place. I noticed she was coughing and the nurse said they had called in for a refill on her cough medicine, my heart sank, they won't refill that. And after a moment of sighing, I thought we need another Dr. appt. This has become our social life and you won't believe how many new friends I have met in the Dr. appt. And they don't mind a bit if you complain about your aches and pains.

Then I got to thinking what a terrible place I had come to. So I want to say a few things about what I'm thankful for in all this busyness. Here goes:

I'm grateful beyond words that Christ chose me to be his before the foundation of the earth and then took my awful sinful self and freed me to be His child.

I'm thankful that I grew up in a loving home with lots of laughter, tears, drama and love.

I'm thankful that I grew up in a home where our father led us to church.

I'm thankful that I have a mama that I can take to the doctor, even if it tires us both out!

I'm thankful that she is my best friend and that we can laugh about most everything. Oh, until she gets tired of talking and then she says (you just have to imagine the voice) "hush, Nancy"....and she's through talking.

I'm thankful for my precious, precious husband. I am the most relaxed that I ever get when I'm with him. He is a solid rock, and he just knows me so well.

I'm thankful for our combined children and grandchildren that we love so much.

I'm so thankful that we live in America.

So the next time I'm feeling really down, I'm going to name a few more things I'm thankful for, because when I start thinking about it, the list is never ending.

2 comments:

Tonja said...

Nancy, what a sweet post! I understand how you feel about time...it seems as if it is not your own anymore, doesn't it? But, don't be too hard on yourself, we all get to feeling like that. And we should all take a lesson from you...COUNT OUR MANY BLESSINGS...NAME THEM ONE BY ONE...

Nancy said...

WOW, Nancy, that is a great attitude and you do have a lot to be thankful for which is a blessing indeed. I blogged about car problems today too (check it out if you have time), which makes me feel exactly like you in your blog today and I understand how you feel.