Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A little bit about addiction


I have been watching a show about a famous guy who is documenting his way through rehab on primetime. My oldest son has been addicted to many things since his teen years. I never thought in my wildest nightmares that I would have a child who was addicted to any mind altering substance. I believe it is one of the hardest things a parent faces.


I'm so tired, though, of hearing all the excuses addicts have for being who they are....My sorrow is for the family that suffers daily for their child, brother, father, friend, wife, whatever place they hold in the family. I just want my son to be free of not only his addictions, but also his anger. He is my firstborn, the tiny baby I held in my arms. I was a young mother and the first time I held him and looked into his eyes I remember saying to him "Your life will be so wonderful because I love you so much". I have learned along the way that love is not enough, at least not the love of a parent, or a son or daughter or a grandmother or grandfather and in my son's case, not even the love of his great grandparents. I know that the only love that will save him is the love of Jesus which can change his heart.


I feel like I'm rambling. O.K. I am.....if you read this, please pray for my son, Paul, and for all the confused grown up children that are so lost. I have placed him in God's hands and backed off for now. I pray our relationship can one day be good.

No comments: