Friday, January 18, 2008

Keeping it light.....

For the past few posts, I've been trying to keep it light. Gosh, there is so much sorrow and sadness in the world that sometimes we just need to laugh...I think even the Lord thinks so according to Proverbs 17:22. Anyhow, the comment my sister left on the shaving legs post brought another memory to mind and that is PIERCING EARS!

Today it is very common for mamas to take their little girls, sometimes infants down and have their ears pierced. My granddaughter had her ears pierced as an infant (her nana didn't exactly like that, but she would never be one to interfere :) ), but back in my day, our parents were vehemently against ear piercing. My mother doesn't have pierced ears to this day even though we've offered to take her so she wouldn't have to wear those clip-on's that hurt so bad! Daddy thought it was a sign of, well not a good thing!

I got my ears pierced when I was 14 or 15. It was halloween, I was supposed to be trick or treating for UNICEF. Instead 2 friends and I went to a dentist (yes, I know, I said dentist!) in town and for $5.00 he would pierce ears. If that was anytime in the last 10 or so years, he would have been in big trouble! But I don't think he had any agenda except safety because we were piercing ears left and right (no pun intended) with needles and a potato (if you have questions about the potato, you're too young to be reading this post!). Anyway, I bravely went in with my earrings and he pierced the first ear. I ALMOST FAINTED, IT HURT! I said "I don't want to do the other one." But apparently he said I had to because I left in a daze with two pierced ears. I'm not good with pain, y'all!

By Christmas I had completely overcome the pain and drama of piercing so much so, that I hung Christmas Ornament balls BY the hangers in my ears! I immediately got a horrible infection and had to go to the doctor. I made it through that and now wear only good earrings, meaning they didn't come out of the Christmas box!

My parent's reaction couldn't have been so pretty, but I still have pierced ears so I guess they figured after all that, they would let me keep them!

Ah, youth! Seems so innocent now.

13 comments:

Cathy said...

Mine were done by a dentist, too....as I said when I was 18, but he did it for free then. My friend and I went and had them done together. He did them after office hours in his office and it did hurt!! So, if you were 14 or 15, that was not long after I had mine done. And yes, our father was not at all happy and had a name for us that we could never repeat in writing...........

Linds said...

I only had mine done in my 30s, when my husband swore he would return the earrings he had bought me 10 years before if I didn't go and do it. Sigh. There is a long story there! But my daughter was 16 when she had hers done.

Thanks for stopping by to visit! I will certainly be back. I love meeting new friends, and blogging is such a delight!

nancygrayce said...

Thanks for visiting linds! I am enjoying meeting so many new people on the blog and it is fun!

Dawn said...

I had mine done in my 30s as well - my daughter was 12 and wanted me to do it with her - when we finally decided it was not a sin to have it done! But I had so many problems with infections that I gave up. I tried again a few months ago, but it just didn't work. Not worth it to always have itching and sore earlobes!

I am old enough to know about the potato and needle method, though.

Anonymous said...

It use to be pierced ears----now it's body piercings and tatoos! Yikes.

Thanks for coming by my Blog and commenting. Did you know that I am fro Ft. Walton Beach, Florida? We have a 2 1/2 year old son buried at Beal Cemetary so we come back often to visit. Besides, my mom and dad are still there too.

By the way, you and your sister look alike and you are both beautiful!

I'll be by again and hope to get to know you better through our Blogs! Grace to you!

Earen said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog & leaving such a kind comment!! I enjoyed reading your post about ear piercing. I got my ears pierced when I was 13 & it was very special because my Daddy took me out for dinner the night before my birthday (just me & him) and surprised me by letting me get them pierced! I think about it alot as I put in my earrings. Thank you again for stopping by & I'll come check you out again!

BethAnne said...

Hey Nancy, Thanks for visiting my blog. I am 35 and my sister is 41. When she was 11 my dad finally let her pierce her ears (after all her friends had pierced ears for several years), but by the time I came around, he had mellowed about it considerably, so I got mine done at age 7. It was such a bid deal then - now kids have them in their eyes, their tongues and other unmentionable and scary places! Hope you will visit my blog often - I will definintely be back to yours!

nancygrayce said...

Thanks for visiting Jennifer! Thank you for the compliment! I can't understand the body piercings and tattoos, but two of my sons have at least one of each of those. I just think of how I bathed them and baby oiled their skin and to think! Sigh!

nancygrayce said...

Thanks for visiting Jennifer! Thank you for the compliment! I can't understand the body piercings and tattoos, but two of my sons have at least one of each of those. I just think of how I bathed them and baby oiled their skin and to think! Sigh!

nancygrayce said...

Thanks for coming by Earen...wow, what a sweet and understanding dad! My dad never mellowed about it, I guess he just accepted that what was done was done! Keep visiting! I 'll do the same.

nancygrayce said...

Thanks for coming by Bethanne! I think I would have been way scared at 7 of the pain.....it was all I could do as a teen! Please come back....I'll do the same.

nancygrayce said...

Hee hee, I knew someone would remember the old potato and needle thing!

Susanne said...

By a dentist? Well at least he would know about keeping it sanitary, one would hope.

I can't say I have ever hung christmas ornaments off my ears or known anyone who did. That is truly an original concept you had there. ;v)