Friday, January 25, 2008

Snippets and other things...

I love today's daily verse on Snippets!

My Bible study group is studying R.C. Sproul's book called "Now, That's a Good Question!" I am co-leading the group and it has really challenged me to the max! R.C. is a great teacher and theologian, but in this particular book, he doesn't give the answers in the back to the answers he gives in the front! So I search for the scriptures that would go along with his answers. I think it is probably really good for me that I'm stretched to search! I'm basically lazy and love it when the "correct" answer is in the back of any book.

I'll be leading the next chapter which is "Understanding Satan"....whoa! This is the verse he starts out with:

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world." 1 Peter 5:8-9

What a reminder to always be on guard. To put on the full armor of God to withstand Satan...because he is always looking, seeking and walking about.

Fortunately, the last chapter was on the "Growing Spiritual Life". The last portion of that chapter was "How can I best prolong a useful Christian life as I grow older?"
One of the last statements he makes in that part is "In God's wonderful economy, there is always work to do and love to give." That's true and I want to always remember that, that even if I get infirm as I grow old, I can always be a prayer warrior and that's what I really want to be. It is also a good way to resist satan.

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Wonderful thoughts today.

Wow, things have really changed since your son was a preemie - thankfully! I can't imagine not touching your baby for that long - they need our touch.

But the NICU is very careful with these teeny tiny ones - they are wonderful in that unit.

mariel said...

I found your blog through a link and have been blessed by it!
I look forward to reading more...
blessings, mariel
growingingodliness.blogspot.com

Leslie: said...

Hi Nancy, sounds like a good book to study. We're doing 1 Peter at church and I'm learning so much. I take notes and hope to integrate my learning into my book. Check out my blog for my latest news.

;D

Tonja said...

Thanks so much for the award, Nancy! I haven't been able to do much reading this week. It has been very cold, damp and rainy here, and that kind of weather really effects Alex. So he has had an especially hard week.
Sounds like a good study...I know you'll do a good job leading it. Satan, he's always at the ready to jump in when we let our guard down for even a minute. We must always be cognizant of that.

Anonymous said...

RC Sproul is one of my favorite teachers! I am glad to hear that you are blessed by his teachings! He's solid---and deep!
:)

nancygrayce said...

Yes, Jennifer, sometimes R.C. is over my poor little head. My husband was reading one of his books to me in our devotional time and I finally said, "You might as well stop, this is way too deep for me." I wish he would use words I didn't have to look up in the dictionary! But I too, love his teachings.